Steve Tuecke, University of Chicago
Big data transfer and sharing … directly from your own storage systems.
How do you take your own storage systems to the Globus service which can orchestrate.
- “i need a good place to store or backup my big research data at a reasonable price” Campuses are struggling with this – installing storage systems, putting Globus UI on top and put it in the Science DMZ.
- “I need to quickly move or mirror portions of my data to other places, including my campus HPC system, lab server, deskop, laptop, XSEDE, cloud”.
- ” I want to publush my data so that it’s available and discoverable long-term”
- “I want to archive my data in case it’s needed sometime in the future”.
- ” I need a way to easily and securely share my data with my colleagues at other institutions.”
- Globus is SaaS
– Web, command line and REST interfaces. Globus never sees the data – data flows directly between the systems, with Globus orchestrating.
Globus connected resources on campus: Research computing center; department / lab storage; campus-wide home/project file system; mass storage systems; science instruments; desktops and laptops; custom web apps; Amazon S3
To a first order of magnitude all non-classified national labs and facilities are connected to Globus.
Globus is a non-profit servicce provider to the non-profit research community.
Globus provider subscriptions:
- Managed endpoints: Priority support, Management console, usage reports, mass storage system optimization, host shared endpoints, integration support.
- Plus subscriptions: create and manage shared endpoints, personal transfers.
- Branded Web Site skinning
- Alternate identity provider (InCommon is standard)