CURRENT PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES
- Internet2 Net+ Program Advisory Group – I serve along with a group of university CIOs providing guidance to Internet2 leadership on all aspects of the NET+ program.
- Chair, Internet2 Advisory Board for Amazon Web Services – This group guides the evolution of the AWS service offering to the Internet2 member community.
- Coalition for Networked Information Steering Committee – I sit on the governing board of this organization of librarians and IT professionals. CNI is sponsored by Educause and the Association of Research Libraries.
- Common Solutions Group – I am a regular participant in this membership organization of CIOs and technical experts from twenty-five major research universities and higher education IT consortia.
- Educause/Internet2 Cloud Services Working Group. Forum for collaboration and coordination relating to adoption of cloud services.
- Transform to Better Perform Leadership Board. Global thought leadership initiative dedicated to helping leaders explore the transformation of the data center into cloud-based environments that meet today’s business needs.
- 2016 – Bold Structures: Early Thoughts on Cloud Architecture for Higher Education (editor and co-author), Internet2 Working Group document
- 2015 – Preparing the IT Organization for the Cloud (co-author), ECAR Working Group Paper series.
- 2014 – Cloud Strategy for Higher Education: Building a Common Solution (co-author). ECAR Research Bulletin.
- 2007 – Digital Rendezvous: Social Software in Higher Education – ECAR Research Bulletin
- 2003 – Peering Through The Mist – Calendaring Directions at the University of Washington
- How The University of Chicago is Breaking the Tech Support Mold, Chicago Tribune, July 2, 2014. A story about my team, working “at the bustling intersection of research, ideas and entrepreneurial spirit.”
- Chicago seeking ‘smart-city’ tech solutions to improve city life, Chicago Tribune, April 29, 2016
A story about a research project let by Dr. Charlie Catlett to instrument the city. My team is providing project management for this effort.
- Open Macro Wins University of Chicago App Challenge, Chicago Tribune, June 10, 2015.
An article about the winner of the fourth annual app challenge, which I and my team created and run.
- Mapping Program Pushes Students to Consider Neighborhood’s Potential, WBEZ (NPR), August 13, 2015. NPR story about students in the South Side using mobile apps built by my team to map community resources.
- 2013 Webby Awards – Webby and People’s Choice Awards won for best School/University web site after our redesign of the main University of Chicago site
- 2008 Ars Technica interview – I spoke with Ars Technica about the consumerization of information technology.